Thursday, April 15, 2010

Earth Day celebration!

This last week was such a whirlwind! Oh my goodness!

Our CBT went to the local elementary school to help teach about Earth Day and to do some fun activities with the kids. This was a three day long event, about an hour and a half each day. Each day we got a new…ish group of kids, anywhere form 60-75 each day. Now, when there are 7 instructors, this would be easy, but since 6 of us only speak broken Tamazight (the Language… referred to as Tam), it was really like there was only 1 teacher. Things got a little chaotic. But I think overall the kids had SOOO much fun, it was good to see them getting excited about learning and the environment. DAY ONE we made a song in Tam and sung it to them, and then we all sung it again together. It was about helping to save the environment and working together… a good song J After that we played some environment games that I had learned when I taught at outdoor school. Then we drew some pictures of the environment. DAY TWO we mad a skit about a woodsman who chopped down all the trees for firewood, then all the animals left. We then gave the kids different situations that were environmental based, which they did a short skit on. After that we planted six trees on their school grounds. We wanted to do more, but the Principal said that it would be hard to water too many more trees. It’s good to keep in mind the sustainability of these projects after things are donated. DAY THREE it was mural time! We had them paint two murals on their walls at school. One was of a field and flowers, on the larger wall, it turned out a little chaotic, but pretty adorable. The other wall turned out really well, it was of a field and mountains in the background and a river… a typical Moroccan sight. It was so much fun to work in the school! It was kinda stressful because I didn’t know how to convey to them most instructions.

Overall it was a tiring week. This next week I find out my final sight placement (where I will be for the next two years) and I get to stay a whole week there with my host family! This will be some time to really practice how much I know my language and to really experience some awkward moments, one after another.

2 comments:

  1. That is a great way to learn..at school with kids who also learn from you. How fun! Great that you are getting out to talk and meet people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another question: I know that Europe has 220 power and we, in the US, have 110. Do you have 220? When I lived in Germany, we either bought 220 items or had to have a transformer to change the voltage.

    It's still very cool on the Oregon Coast. I saw snow in the hills driving to Salem yesterday and was surprised.

    I'm enjoying your posts. Do any of your other PC workers have blogs too?

    ReplyDelete